CAREERS AT BETTY&SMITH
Betty&Smith is a boutique communications firm of strategists and changemakers with decades of experience defining, shaping, and elevating some of the most complicated and divisive issues of our day. We specialize in building unaffected communications strategies, rooted in research, offering fresh creative thinking and innovative media tactics.
We believe the best solutions come from a combination of imagination and know-how. We are a team of seasoned strategists who have “been there.” We do the work ourselves. Along with a deep, diverse team of creatives, producers, and designers, we give our clients the benefit of our collective talent and experience on every project, every day.
We partner with foundations, trade associations, and advocacy groups to bring their stories to life in the most relatable, compelling way. And we have created and directed award-winning advertising campaigns for major brands and national organizations as well as Democratic candidates at the federal and state levels.
We cultivate a workplace rooted in collaboration, creativity, authenticity, and opportunity. A place to be you, and a core part of us. As a small shop, we’re a team of hard-working go-getters who aren’t afraid to dig in, take risks, and explore new avenues of change. We shoot straight. We collaborate. And our passion is to make people’s lives better, healthier, and happier.
We are committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and recognize that our continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and people identifying as LBGTQ are strongly encouraged to apply. Opportunities for advancement exist as our small shop grows. We are committed to helping all staff develop, learn, explore, and bring their uniqueness to our team.
We’re looking for someone who’s excited to combine their experience with flexibility; their independent drive with true teamwork; their professional growth with ours. Someone who’s meticulous, but quick on their feet. At Betty&Smith, we value bold ideas executed with excellence. If this sounds like the right place for you, read on to learn more about our opening for Director.
Qualifications and Experience
- 8+ of relevant professional experience in strategic communications and campaigns
- 5+ years’ experience managing people, including demonstrated ability to successfully motivate, manage and mentor a team to meet objectives
- Experience managing finances and budgets
- Expertise leading creative communications or media campaigns around policy or political issues
- Interest in furthering progressive causes such as health care reform, criminal justice reform, combatting climate
change,and supports for children and families, such as paid family leave, child care, Medicaid and SNAP
- Strong curiosity in and knowledge of the current political landscape and national dialogue
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, with all levels of clients, media, and staff members
- Ability to handle multiple assignments at once, work quickly, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to take complex issues and quickly craft easily understood written material
- Proficiency in effectively editing staff materials and helping develop others’ writing skills
- Strong experience with media relations and demonstrated relationships with national reporters and/or bloggers
- Command of digital strategy
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience in a communications-related field
- A deep level of personal commitment to social justice, especially advancing racial and gender equity
- Low ego, patient and compassionate, and a desire to work collaboratively with junior and senior colleagues and clients
- Someone who enjoys working in a team environment that fosters staff growth
- Doesn’t understand the term “not my job”
- Can manage through those moments of not feeling qualified and will try it anyway
- Meticulous attention to detail
- A sense of humor
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance (including vision and dental), 401K, and substantial vacation time.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org