JOBS AT BETTY&SMITH
Betty&Smith, a boutique communications firm in Washington, DC, is seeking an Account Assistant to join our fast-growing team.
Betty&Smith partners with foundations, non-profits, trade associations, and advocacy groups to bring their stories to life in the most relatable, compelling ways. Its team of strategists and changemakers have decades of experience defining, shaping, and elevating some of the most complicated and divisive issues of our day. Alison Betty and David Smith have created and directed award-winning advertising campaigns for major brands and national organizations as well as Democratic candidates at the federal and state levels. We remain focused on breaking down barriers and systems rooted in structural racism, and elevating people and ideas that can help catalyze change on the road to an equitable recovery and an anti-racist future.
The Account Assistant will support team members in key client projects and help manage the day-to-day operations of the firm including scheduling, meeting planning, travel logistics, drafting and proofing of key client documents and supporting the team in project management duties. The projects are steeped in some of the most pressing issues of our time, including access to affordable health care, early childhood development, and intergenerational poverty.
We are the epitome of a team-driven environment. The phrase “that’s not my job” isn’t in our vocabulary. We all pitch in. We are looking for someone who is excited to contribute and has a passion for value-driven campaigns and causes. The work will rarely look the same day-to-day, but you can count on working in a supportive and communicative environment with hard-working go-getters.
The Account Assistant will join a team of hard-working go-getters with a passion to make people’s lives better, healthier, and happier. Betty&Smith cultivates a workplace rooted in collaboration, creativity, authenticity, and opportunity. Risk-taking and bold thinking are encouraged.
- Support team members with day-to-day account management, including updating workplans, developing and circulating meeting agendas.
- Draft, copyedit, and review client deliverables such as message guides, advertising copy, PowerPoint presentations, and more.
- Coordinate daily schedules and deadlines across the team and maintain the organization of internal and external documents.
- Help manage client billing processes, including updating internal billing documents and monthly budget tracking.
- Stay up to date on national political landscape and dialogue.
- 1 year or more of professional experience in communications, campaigns, marketing, social media, or related work environment. School experience qualifies.
- Interest in furthering progressive causes such as health care reform, criminal justice reform, combatting climate change, and supports for children and families, such as paid family leave, childcare, Medicaid and SNAP.
- Strong curiosity in and knowledge of the current political landscape and national dialogue.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, with clients, media, and staff members.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments at once, work quickly, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience or interest in video, graphic, and digital production preferred.
- General understanding of and curiosity in campaign communications planning and tactics with a particular affinity for digital communications.
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience in communications, marketing, politics, or related field.
- Graphic design skills and experience with Adobe Illustrator or InDesign is preferred but not required. Familiarity with WordPress is also a plus but not required.
- Low ego, patient and compassionate, with a desire to work collaboratively with colleagues and clients.
- Communicative and emotionally intelligent.
- Enjoys working in a team environment that fosters staff growth.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Can “read a room” and navigate new business relationships.
- Not afraid to ask questions and learn openly.
- Self-starter who can learn, over time, to anticipate needs in a fast-moving environment.
- A strong sense of humor and fun.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, vision and dental insurance, 401K and substantial vacation time off.
Submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. The cover letter should be concise, compelling and outline why you are the right person for this position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Betty & Smith is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.