JOBS AT BETTY&SMITH
Betty&Smith, a boutique communications firm in Washington, DC, is seeking a Business Manager to join our fast-growing team.
Betty&Smith partners with foundations, non-profits, trade associations, and advocacy groups to bring their stories to life in the most relatable, compelling ways. Its team of strategists and changemakers have decades of experience defining, shaping, and elevating some of the most complicated and divisive issues of our day. We have created and directed award-winning advertising campaigns for major brands and national organizations as well as Democratic candidates at the federal and state levels. We remain focused on breaking down barriers and systems rooted in structural racism, and elevating people and ideas that can help catalyze change on the road to an equitable recovery and an anti-racist future.
The Business Manager will work closely with account leaders to ensure the smooth operation and management of the day-to-day business and finances. They will be responsible for maintaining the company’s financial statements, tracking client accounts, facilitating the operations of the company, and ensuring compliance with financial reporting and other standard accounting procedures.
The Business Manager will report to the owners and be assisted by the company’s contract CFO.
1. Maintain the company’s internal financial records.
- Manages account information in Quickbooks on a daily basis
- Creates monthly client invoices
- Enters all deposits
- Facilitate wire transfers and reporting
- Produces monthly financial statements (P&L, Balance Sheet)
- Works with CFO to prepare quarterly and year-end financial statements for use by the company’s CPA to determine tax liability
- Maintains financial controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures
- Reconciles financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information
- Maintains financial security by following internal controls
- Protects operations by keeping financial information confidential
2. Maintain the company’s internal financial records.
- Work with account leaders to manage tracking of expenses and revenue
- Facilitates tracking of professional hours for client account teams
- Works with client account leads to track client billable and reimbursable expenses
- Leads the development of monthly invoices (breakdown of hours, calculation of personnel fees, reimbursement of expenses, and description of deliverables)
- Notifies management of any financial issues arising with client contracts
- Maintains customer confidence by keeping financial information private
3. Maintain the company’s internal financial records.
- Oversees employee benefits (health insurance, retirement, disability insurance, cell phone)
- Oversees business insurance (E&O, general commercial)
- Tracks regulatory filings (DCRA LLC)
- Works with senior staff to facilitate the company’s operations, including an emphasis on inclusion, diversity, and equity
- Supports owners with planning of company initiatives including retreats, employee onboarding, and special events
- Maintains confidentiality of business operations
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant a plus
- Understanding of accounting rules and procedures including the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- 3 years of experience with Quickbooks accounting software
- Familiarity with Receipt Bank (or similar receipt processing software)
- Advanced knowledge and experience of spreadsheets
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access)
- Detail-oriented and take-charge attitude necessary to keep the finances on track
- Ability to work remotely
- A deep level of personal commitment to social justice and progressive causes
- An interest in or appreciation of state and federal policymaking and politics
- Low-ego, patient, and compassionate, with a desire to work collaboratively with colleagues
- Enjoys working in a team environment that fosters staff growth
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to adjust to change in a fast-growing environment
- A great sense of humor – takes work seriously but not oneself
Full-time Salary: Commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, dental, vision and disability insurance and retirement plan benefits, as well as substantial paid time off.
Submit a cover letter and resume online at [email protected]. The cover letter should be concise and outline why you are the right person for this position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Betty&Smith is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.