JOBS AT BETTY&SMITH
Betty&Smith, a boutique communications firm in Washington, DC, is seeking a Manager to join our fast-growing team.
Betty&Smith partners with foundations, non-profits, trade associations, advocacy groups and all the major Democratic political committees to bring their stories to life in the most relatable, compelling ways. Our team of strategists and changemakers have decades of experience defining, shaping and elevating some of the most complicated and divisive issues of our day. Alison Betty and David Smith have created and directed award-winning advertising campaigns for major brands and national organizations as well as Democratic candidates at the federal and state levels.
The Manager will be responsible for leading multiple accounts, serving as the main point of contact for clients and collaborating with other members of the account team to develop, manage and execute communications strategies across a wide array of advocacy campaigns and philanthropic organizations. They will work with our clients to advance issues around equity, economic inclusion and fairness as well as support advocacy efforts on many of today’s more pressing progressive policy priorities such as access to affordable health coverage, paid family leave, healthcare pricing, child tax credits, COVID 19 vaccine education, mental health supports for infants and toddlers and more. We remain focused on breaking down barriers and systems rooted in structural racism, and elevating people and ideas that can help catalyze change on the road to an equitable recovery and an anti-racist future.
The Manager will join a team of hard-working go-getters with a passion to make people’s lives better, healthier and happier. Betty&Smith cultivates a workplace rooted in collaboration, creativity, authenticity and opportunity. Risk-taking and bold thinking are encouraged.
The Manager will:
- Serve as a primary point of contact and relationship manager with client leads.
- Lead account teams working with colleagues, partners and vendors to ensure the timely completion of deliverables.
- Develop and manage multiple projects, including budgets, timelines and content creation.
- Spearhead, manage and execute communications strategies across a wide array of advocacy campaigns and philanthropic organizations.
- Write compelling messages and create content that turns complicated social policy problems and solutions into simple, powerful and relatable stories.
- Participate in the new business process, including providing support for written materials.
Qualifications and Experience
- 4-5 years of relevant professional experience in strategic communications and campaigns.
- Ability to stay organized and handle multiple assignments at once, work quickly and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to develop creative communications or implement media campaigns around policy or political issues.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing, with all levels of clients, media and team members.
- Devotion to progressive causes such as healthcare reform, criminal justice reform, combating climate change, addressing systemic inequities and promoting supports for children and families such as paid family leave, childcare, Medicaid and SNAP.
- Skilled writer with the ability to take complex issues and quickly craft easily understood written materials.
- Proficiency in effectively editing written materials.
- General familiarity with modes of public opinion research such as focus groups, surveys, etc. that inform communications strategies, messages and creative.
- Experience collaborating with producers, designers and other creative professionals to bring stories and messages to life across media.
- Some media relations experience preferred.
- Understanding of digital strategy and experience using digital tactics preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience in a communications-related field.
- A deep level of personal commitment to social justice and progressive success.
- Strong curiosity and knowledge of the current political landscape and national dialogue.
- Low-ego, patient and compassionate with a desire to work collaboratively with junior and senior colleagues and clients.
- Enjoys working in a team environment that fosters staff growth.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- A strong sense of humor and fun.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, vision and dental insurance, 401K and substantial vacation time off.
Submit a cover letter and resume online at email@example.com. The cover letter should be concise, compelling and outline why you are the right person for this position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Betty&Smith is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.