JOBS AT BETTY&SMITH
Have a passion for politics, policy or progressive causes? Betty&Smith, a boutique communications firm in Washington, DC, is seeking a Summer Intern to support the work of our fast-growing firm. This is a paid internship opportunity.
Betty&Smith partners with foundations, non-profits, trade associations and advocacy groups to bring their stories to life in the most relatable, compelling ways. Our team of strategists and change-makers have decades of experience defining, shaping and elevating some of the most complicated and divisive issues of our day. We have created and directed award-winning advertising campaigns for major brands and national organizations as well as Democratic candidates at the federal and state levels.
The Summer Intern will join a growing team with a passion to make people’s lives better, healthier, and happier. The Summer Internship offers exposure to many different aspects of work at a communications firm, including strategic planning, ad production, graphic design, copywriting, project management, client communications, research, billing, and advertising operations. Betty&Smith cultivates a workplace rooted in collaboration, creativity, authenticity and opportunity. Risk-taking and bold thinking are encouraged.
Betty&Smith is committed to racial equity and social justice. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and people from other marginalized communities. Candidates from these backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
The Internship Experience
The B&S Summer Internship is a hands-on program that gives interns the opportunity to learn various aspects of the work of a communications agency. Every day is different. By the end of the summer, you will have had the chance to learn and support:
- Strategic planning – how communication plans, campaigns, and messaging come together
- Project management – the development of work plans, memos, reports, client communications, proofing client deliverables and preparing monthly billing documents
- Research – independently research and present findings on tools, tactics, policies and issues. Participate in the development of quantitative and qualitative research instruments and guides for various projects
- Ad production – how an ad is produced from start to finish, including scripting, copywriting, graphic design and quality assurance
- Advertising operations – the mechanisms involved in launching, optimizing and reporting on digital advertising on networks (Facebook, Google, LinkedIn and The Trade Desk)
- Passionate about progressive causes and politics with a curiosity for current affairs
- Low ego, patient and kind, with a desire to work collaboratively with colleagues and clients
- Communicative and emotionally intelligent – and committed to our core values of anti-racism, equity, and inclusion
- Not afraid to ask questions and learn openly – we encourage a spirit of adventure and growth
- Meticulous attention to detail
- A strong sense of humor and fun
- In order to be eligible for this internship you must be a college junior/senior, recent college graduate, or someone with equivalent experience if you did not attend college.
- Interest in communications, campaigns, marketing, social media or related work environment.
- Passionate about advancing progressive causes such as health care reform, criminal justice reform, combating climate change and supports for children and families, such as paid family leave, childcare, Medicaid and SNAP.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to balance multiple assignments at once, work quickly and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to take complex issues and craft easily understood written material.
- General understanding of and curiosity in campaign communications planning and tactics with a particular affinity for digital communications.
- Graphic design, web design, and digital advertising experience is preferred but not required.
Compensation and Availability
- Dates: May 31 to August 26, 2022 (Flexible)
- Rate: $20/hour.
- Minimum Commitment: 20 hours a week, Monday – Thursday.
- Location: This internship is primarily remote, but the full team comes together in the Washington, D.C. office for three days each month. You are welcome to work from the office in Dupont Circle.
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter online to email@example.com. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and outline why you are the right person for this position. We encourage you to explain what aspects of the work you are most excited by and why. If selected, there will be two rounds of interviews and you will be asked to share a few writing or relevant creative samples. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Betty&Smith is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.